Smoked Stuffed Apples
(Three Little Pigs Style)
- 6 firm sweet apples, such as Honey Crisps or Galas
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup of Three Little Pigs Touch of Cherry Rub
- ¼ cup shortbread or gingersnap crumbs
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 6 marshmallows (optional)
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Core the apples using an apple corer or melon baller. Don’t cut all the way to the bottom. The idea is to create a cavity for stuffing.
- We had to end up pulling the core out then cut 1/3 off the core end and placed it back into the bottom of the apple to hold the stuffing.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together and Three Little Pigs Touch of Cherry . Beat in the cookie crumbs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Spoon the mixture into the apples. Stick a cinnamon stick upright through the filling of each apple and place a marshmallow on top.
- Cut sides down so marshmallow can seep inside.
- Place apples in an aluminum pan or on foil.
- Smoke apples until the sides are squeezably soft but not collapsing. 250 degrees for 1-1 ½ hours depending on size of apples.
- If the marshmallows start to brown too much, tent the apples with foil.
- Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.
Chris Marks CBBQE (Chief BBQ Expert) Three Little Pig’s Rubs & Sauces and Good-One Smoker/Grills