A food product must have more than just one thing going for it nutritionally to be what dietary experts call a “superfood.” Turkey pretty much has it all. Turkey breast is one of the leanest meats available with one of the highest amounts of protein. A four-ounce serving of boneless, turkey breast contains 26 grams of protein, about one gram of fat and zero grams of saturated fat
Simple Three Little Pig’s Brine
- Cup of Three Little Pig’s Championship Rub
- ½- cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 2-gallons water
- 4-bay leaves
- 2-lemons, cut in slices
- 4-sprigs fresh thyme
In a large saucepan, combine water, Championship rub, sugar, over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
Add ice or place in refrigerator until completely cooled. Select a container large enough to hold all the brine and turkey. Add turkey, making sure to stretch the skin of the turkey away from the legs. This will allow the brine to get as close as possible to the surface of the meat. Let sit overnight in refrigerator.
- 3-4# Turkey Breast
- Three Little Pig’s Carolina BBQ Sauce
- Three Little Pig’s Championship Rub
- Yellow Mustard
Turkey Breast Directions:
- Use yellow mustard to coat both sides of the Turkey Breast, liberally coat both sides of the Turkey Breast with Three Little Pig’s Championship Rub.
- Heat the Smoker or Grill to 300 degrees, add favorite flavor wood, I prefer cherry or pecan.
- Smoke or Grill Turkey Breast to 165 degrees, measure with a thermometer to verify correct temperature. I prefer the Thermapen quick read.
- Remove the turkey breast from the smoker and rest for 15 minutes.
- Gently remove the Turkey Breast from the cavity with a sharp knife and hands.
- Once breast is removed cut against the grain for the best results.
- Serve with a side of Three Little Pig’s Carolina BBQ Sauce to dip.
For Pulled Turkey:
- Remove the turkey breast from the smoker or grill coarsely shred with two forks.
- Mix Three Little Pig’s Carolina BBQ sauce with the pulled turkey, add more sauce for more intense flavor.
- Serve the turkey on buns with slaw.
Chris Marks CBBQE (Chief BBQ Expert) Three Little Pig’s Rubs & Sauces and Good-One Smoker/Grills