Shredded beef is a preparation of beef that is a feature in dishes from various cuisines. Shredded beef is sometimes prepared using beef brisket, chuck roast or even pot roast, which is also sometimes shredded. Preparation can be on the low and slow on the smoker, oven, or crockpot. This method of preparation typically involves longer cooking of the beef cuts to create individual strands of tender meat for various food dishes the important part is to cook the beef until it is fork tender to get the right texture to pull or shred and then add beef broth, apple juice or your favorite BBQ sauce to rehydrate and add your flavor profile.
Pulled Beef Frequently Ask Questions.
What part of the cow is best for pulled beef?
Chuck Roast, Brisket
My favorite cut is a chuck roast, which may also be labeled as a shoulder roast, chuck eye roast, or arm chuck roast. Look for a roast that has good marbling (or white fat) running through it. Brisket is another great choice for shredded beef.
How do you keep pulled beef moist?
Place your shredded beef in an ovenproof dish or catering pan add in a little liquid to replace some of the lost moisture. This can be apple juice, cider vinegar, broth, or a thick BBQ sauce. Cover the dish in a double layer of foil, to lock in the moisture, and set it on a baking tray in the middle of your oven or smoker to reheat.
What can I do with pulled beef?
More dinner recipes using Shredded Beef:
- Beef Noodle Soup.
- Shredded Beef Nachos.
- BBQ Beef Stuffed Potatoes.
- Weeknight Shepherd’s Pie.
- Italian Beef sandwiches
- Cuban Beef sandwiches
- Beef enchiladas
What can I use instead of chuck roast?
Any of these cuts can be used or substituted for pulled beef:
- Chuck, Chuck Shoulder, Chuck Roast, Chuck-Eye Roast, Top Chuck.
- Bottom Round Roast, Bottom Eye Roast, Rump Roast, Eye Round Roast, Top Round, Round Tip Roast.
- English Roast, Pot Roast.
How Long Does pulled beef last in the fridge?
Safely stored, cooked beef roast will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. To further extend the shelf life of cooked beef roast, freeze it; freeze in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags, or wrap tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil or freezer wrap.
Three Little Pig’s (Shredded) Pulled Beef recipe.
1 beef chuck roast (approximately 3 pounds)
¼ Cup of Three Little Pigs Championship Rub
¼ Cup of Three Little Pigs All Purpose Rub
1 Cup beef broth
1 Cup of Three Little Pigs Mustard Sauce
- Coat the chuck roast with a Three Little Pig’s Mustard sauce as a binder for the BBQ rubs.
3. Place the chuck roast on smoker, grill, or oven at 275 degrees.
4. Allow the chuck roast to cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Place the chuck roast on a double layer of aluminum foil, fold the sides of the foil up to create a boat, and pour the beef broth over the meat. Tightly wrap the chuck roast in the foil and return to the smoker or oven.
5. Continue cooking the wrapped chuck roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 205°F.
6. Remove the chuck roast from the smoker, grill or oven and carefully open the foil to allow steam to escape. Use two forks or claws to shred the chuck roast just prior to serving and add more beef broth and Three Little Pig’s Competition BBQ sauce for flavor.
Chris Marks (CBBQE) Chief BBQ Expert Three Little Pig’s BBQ Rubs/Sauces