A step by step tutorial on how to smoke salmon or any other fatty fish. These instructions work for other fish such as whitefish, mackerel,trout and even catfish.
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 6 5- to 6-ounce salmon fillets with skin
- ½ Cup of Three Little Pig’s Championship rub
- ½ Cup of Three Little Pig’s Competition BBQ Sauce
- Stir first 4 ingredients in large bowl until both sugars dissolve. Add salmon, skin side up, to brine, pressing to submerge. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove salmon from brine; discard brine. Rinse salmon under cold water. Place salmon, skin side down, on rack. Let stand until top is dry to touch (do not pat dry), about 1 hour.
- Lightly apply Extra Virgin Olive Oil to non-skin side of salmon.
- Apply Three Little Pig’s Championship Rub to non-skin side of salmon.
- Prepare Smoker with All Natural Lump Charcoal and set smoking temp to 225 degrees for the Salmon.
- Arrange salmon, skin side down, on rectangle. Place salmon on foil on smoker . Add your choice of flavor wood (Cherry) to the smoker, cook until salmon is firm to touch and glaze forms over salmon, usually 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove salmon from foil, leaving skin on foil. Lightly glaze with Three Little Pig’s Competition BBQ Sauce, transfer salmon to platter; serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Chris Marks CBBQE (Chief BBQ Expert) Three Little Pig’s Rubs & Sauces and Good-One Smoker/Grills