Cherry-Wood Smoked Macaroni & Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus 1/4 cup (1/2 stick), divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Three Little Pig’s Competition BBQ Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Three Little Pig’s Championship BBQ Rub
- 4 ounces aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups sweet corn nib lets
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound jumbo elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces Colby cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup Panko (Japanese-style) breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
1. Heat the smoker to 250 degrees.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large, heavy-bottom pot over medium heat. Whisk the flour into the butter until thoroughly combined to form a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk, then the half-and-half. Whisk in the mustard, barbecue sauce, salt and pepper.
3. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes to develop the flavors. Whisk in the white cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Stir in the corn, and parsley, then remove from heat.
4. Stir in the cooked macaroni, then the cubed sharp cheddar and Colby cheeses. Spoon the macaroni and cheese into a buttered 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
5. Melt the remaining one-quarter cup of butter in a small sauce pan. In a medium bowl, combine the cracker, Panko and unseasoned breadcrumbs with the melted butter. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the macaroni and cheese.
6. Put baking dish on smoker and apply 1 single piece of seasoned Wild Cherry flavor wood for 30-45 minutes to absorb the sweet cherry smoke.
7. Pull off smoker and finish in the oven at 350 for anther 20-30 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and browned on top.
Chris Marks CBBQE (Chief BBQ Expert) Three Little Pig’s BBQ Sauces/Rubs